Science flip books for teaching concepts is today’s topic.
You have probably used some form of flip books, (or if not, why not?!) or at least seen them and know what they are – but just in case…
Flip books are what would result if worksheets and interactive notebooks had a baby! Much more engaging than a worksheet, much less time-consuming and messy than an interactive notebook. A flip book is a teaching tool that helps students learn, organize, and retain information.
Why Use Flip Books
- Flip books lend themselves perfectly to the Science classroom. Science topics are usually vocabulary and fact-laden, and the format of my flip books helps students organize and recall all that information.
- Because the material is arranged visually and textually, students ultimately retain more knowledge.
- Flip books allow for easy modifications, so all students can participate and be successful.
- Students are proud of their finished products and take more ownership in their learning.
Related: Three Great Uses of Flip Books
Examples of Science Flip Books
Animal Flip Book
My animal flip book is a great place to start. Kids love learning about animals and the templates give structure to students as they learn to do research. The posters make it easy for you to introduce and reinforce vocabulary and of course, the rubrics make grading a snap!
The Animal Research Report Flip Book resource contains:
- posters that can be used as displays in the Science center or used as a presentation to unlock vocabulary that will be used in the science flip book
- color and black & white templates with simple fonts, and color and black & white templates with cursive fonts for the title that can be used to create a research report flip book on any animal
- grading rubrics
Apple Flip Book
An Apple Unit is not just for Fall! With over 2,500 varieties of apples in the United States alone, kids are eating apples all year long. Use this flip book to teach about everyone’s favorite fruit any time of the year!
- The Apple Flip Book resource contains color and black and white templates. Students will be able to describe what an apple is, its different parts, and its varieties.
- This resource also includes different apple products, the growth of apples through the seasons, how apples are harvested, and how they are stored. This science flip book can also be used for research work.
Biomes Flip Book
Are Biomes part of your curriculum this year? Your students will love the kickstart this science flip book will provide as you delve deeper into your Biome studies.
- This resource consists of templates that can be used to create a flip book.
- Use for notetaking and summarizing your students’ key learnings or understanding of deserts, forests, grasslands, tundra, and aquatic environments.
- Students will describe the different biomes, types or divisions of each, and the flora and fauna that can be found.
Body Systems Flip Book
If you are planning a Unit on Body Systems, you and your students will be happy to have the support of this science flip book!
- This resource consists of color and black and white templates that can be used to create a flip book on the body systems.
- Use to summarize your students’ key learnings or understanding of the human body and its systems.
- Students will write about the different organs in each system and/or the function of each body system.
The Engineering Design Process Flip Book
One of the pillars of science education is understanding and using the Engineering Design Process. This flipbook will be a handy reference and record of your STEM challenges.
- The Engineering Design Process Flip Book resource contains color and black and white templates. Students will have the opportunity to ask, imagine, design, create and improve as they work through solutions to problems.
- This resource can be used again and again with any STEM challenges.
Five Senses Flip Book
Are you teaching in the younger grades? If you are, you are more than likely to be covering the Five Senses and will want to use this engaging activity.
- This resource contains color and black and white templates for students to write about the organs associated with each sense and what they can see, hear, smell, taste, and touch/feel through their senses.
Force and Motion Flip Book
If you are teaching your students about Force and Motion this year, they will find the illustrations a great visual reference to help them apply the concepts as they are introduced.
- This Force and Motion resource consists of templates that can be used to create a science flip book.
- This resource is perfect for notetaking with illustrations that will help your students summarize and understand your key learnings of forces and motion.
Insects Flip Book
Here is another one for the younger set. Kids love learning about those Creepy Crawlers and will be totally engaged with the information provided on insect life.
- This resource consists of foldables/templates that can be used to create an insect flip book.
- Use it for notetaking to help your students summarize and understand characteristics, body parts, role in the environment, and life cycles of insects.
Plants Flip Book
If there are insects, then there are probably plants around. Kids love learning about plants, especially in spring, and will be motivated to learn more about them with this resource.
- This resource consists of foldables/templates that can be used to create an plant flip book.
- Use it for notetaking to help your students summarize and understand characteristics, plant parts, plant needs, and life cycles of plants.
Related: How to Teach Plants for Kids
Landforms Flip Book
Perhaps you are getting ready for a unit on Landforms and need some high-interest material to keep your students engaged. This Landforms Science Flip Book is exactly the product you will want!
- This Landforms resource consists of templates that can be used to create a flip book.
- Use it for notetaking to help your students summarize and understand caves, hills, islands, mountains, plains, plateaus, valleys, and volcanoes.
Related: How to Teach Landforms for Kids
States of Matter Flip Book
Are you wondering how to teach States of Matter in person and remotely while keeping your students interested and involved? I have the solution for you right here with this engaging flip book.
- This States of Matter resource consists of templates that can be used to create a flip book.
- Use it for notetaking to help your students learn about and review the three states of matter.
Planets Flip Book
Remember when you were a kid and learning about the planets was so much fun, but oh, all those names and facts were hard to keep straight. This Planets flip book will make certain your students never have that problem.
- This resource consists of foldables/templates that can be used to create a flip book on the planets of the Solar System.
- Use it to help your students organize names and definitions of the planets. It can also be used for research work.
Pumpkins Flip Book
Do you love teaching about pumpkins as much as I do? Maybe it’s because I love pumpkin pie so much! And just like eating pumpkin pie can be done any time of the year (trust me, I know!), so can learning about pumpkins.
- This resource consists of templates that can be used to create a science flip book on pumpkins.
- Use it to describe what a pumpkin is, what it looks like, its different parts, and varieties.
- Students will summarize different pumpkin products, the growth and life cycle of pumpkins, and how pumpkins are harvested and stored. This flip book can also be used for research work.
The Scientific Method Flip Book
Whether you are just beginning to introduce the Scientific Method or are concentrating on using the steps in actual investigations, you will want to get this for your students and yourself.
- This Scientific Method resource consists of templates that can be used to create a flip book.
- Use it for notetaking to help your students understand purpose, research, hypothesis, experiment, and analysis.
- It can also be used to record details based on actual scientific investigations.
Seasons Flip Book
Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall, your younger students will enjoy making and showing off their Seasons science flip books.
- This 12-page resource contains templates to be used to create a flip book about the four seasons
- Students write about the weather, clothes, sights, smells, sounds, food, and activities they associate with winter, spring, summer, and fall/autumn.
Total Solar Eclipse Flip Book
The Total Solar Eclipse of 2017, also known as the Great American Eclipse, is historically significant and fun to learn about even if your students are too young to actually remember it.
- This resource consists of templates that can be used to create a flip book about the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse.
- Use it to diagram and write observations and key facts about the eclipse.
Water Cycle Flip Book
The water cycle affects every living being every day. Help your students recognize and organize how the water cycle is relevant to them in their daily lives.
- This water cycle resource consists of templates that can be used to create a science flip book and a link to a digital interactive notebook which students type in and add text boxes is included.
- Use it for notetaking to help your students visualize the water cycle from evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and collection.
Weather Flip Book
Weather, much like the water cycle is relevant in everyday life, especially for younger children. This is one of my favorite units to teach and the students are so excited to show off their finished flip book projects.
- This weather resource consists of templates that can be used to create a science flip book.
- Use it to support students learning and writing about sunny, rainy, cloudy, windy, and snowy weather conditions.
Wow, that’s a lot!
These science flip books also come in a digital version. A link to a digital interactive notebook, which students type in and add text boxes, is included in each set.
If you are looking for even more material to extend your units, many of these flip books have corresponding Science PowerPoints.
Science Flip Book Resources
Download all these Science Flip Books (and more) below when you sign up for an annual membership in Jewel’s School Gems Club. For just $47, you can download all these, as well as all existing resources on the website. Sign up today!
Update: Animal Specific Science Flipbooks added for members to download today! – December 19, 2022